Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Stepping outside my Mommy box

One of the things we have changed at this house is the amount of free time Adrian has.  It seems if we can keep him occupied on a variety of tasks his behavior stays positive and his interactions with everyone else is positive.  So, we've been doing a lot of coloring, painting, play dough, moon sand, ect.... you get the idea.  Those that know me, know I hate cleaning up those messes.  When I was a teacher, I had no issue bringing those kinds of activities to family's homes, doing them with the child/family and cleaning up afterward.  But, there is something about doing them in my own home, with my own children and cleaning up that mess.  I would just prefer they get to do that sort of messy activity at school.  I decided I needed to start to get over that.  Yesterday was a big day for me!! 

We colored for about an hour.  Usually, I have them pick out a page of the coloring book and I rip it out for them.  But, Grammy had sent them each a new coloring book for Halloween - so I wrote their name on the top and gave them the whole book.  You would have thought I just handed them an entire cake!  They all questioned whether they could have the whole book.  I told them they were gifts and they could do what they wanted with them.  They each took a crayon and made a mark on every - single - page!  Then, they picked a page and colored to their hearts desire. 

After that, I let them choose what they wanted for lunch - see how scary this could be!!!  Waffles and pizza - and an apple Kaegan said.  Okay, remember it is all about stepping outside of that mommy box......So I made pizza and waffles.  (Chloe choose her Keto friendly hot dog and apples meal).  They ate like champs!!  I did continue with the schedule as usual and they all took a nice rest.  I used that time to knit Chloe a new hat (she has lost her other cute one, with the adorable knitted flower on it- bummer).  Well I almost got it done.  I knew what I had planned for the afternoon and knew I would need all of the patience I had and no residual stress from the morning, knitting has helped me find my "Happy Place". 

After nap we made sugar cookies.  When I say "We" I mean the children all did their own measuring, I gave verbal guidance for Adrian and Kaegan and did give some physical prompting to Chloe and Noah.  I was nervous about letting Chloe be that close to all of these foods that are not safe for her, but I decided to give it a whirl and see what happens.  They all also cracked their own eggs.......it was horrible to watch.  Adrian and Kaegan had the right idea, crack it on the side of their bowl and then use their thumbs - they did it.  Adrian only had a small piece of shell in his bowl and Kaegan didn't get any shell in his.  Chloe on the other hand just squeezed her egg in one hand.......at least she was over the bowl, her whole egg and the shell now crushed to many pieces all went into her bowl.  Noah just set his whole egg inside his bowl and smiled.  I said he needed to crack it to open it up and he said "No mommy, no mess".  I smiled, a boy after my own heart!  I helped him to crack it on the side and showed him where to put his thumbs to pull it apart.  He didn't like it. 

It took about 20 minutes to get all of the pieces of shell out of the 3 bowls - but the kids waited.  I took that chance to give them a little lesson on eggs.  We talked about where they came from (they all knew the answer) and then I talked about how the yoke is the baby chicken and if it would have stayed in its mommy's nest it would have grown into a baby chicken.  Adrian pointed out that if all of the eggs stayed with their mommy's we would have eggs to eat, I told him he was correct.  He said that he was okay with some eggs staying with their moms because he liked baby chickens, but that we still needed some to eat.  It was a good compromise.  I let them run the mixer, roll out their own dough and cut out their own shapes.  The cookies turned out well, surprisingly.  I have not come across any rogue shell pieces and they taste pretty close to what they should. 

After this we played with moon sand.  In - the - house!!!!  This has always been an outside only activity.  In case you aren't familiar, moon sand gets everywhere!!  It gets into the cracks of the hard wood floors, and if it gets on the bottom of feet - your carpet is at risk!!  The kids had a blast, I swept 4 times in the 90 minutes that they played with moon sand. 

It was a fun day!!  We had some really rocky moments with Adrian - but that is another post all together.  Despite his rage and horrible attitude I was determined to make Halloween a great day for all of them.  After supper we went trick or treating and the kids had a blast!!  Here is a picture below before we went out.  Adrian is Iron Man, Chloe is a dancer, Kaegan a Giraffe, Noah is Batman, and Stella is a ladybug.
It was a good Halloween. 

No comments:

Post a Comment